Dental Floss. Can you think of any stronger love/hate relationship?
No one will agree that they love to floss, but it is important to clean interdentally (between your teeth) including in-between dental crowns and implants). So if you are among those people who don’t floss perhaps it is time to consider a different alternative.
What is the alternative you ask? An oral irrigator, also known as a water flosser or air flosser. These great little devices pressure water and/or air through a small nozzle which gets in-between your teeth and under your gums gently, providing a more comfortable experience.
Clinical studies show that the Water Flosser is up to:
- 51% more effective than dental floss for reducing gingivitis
- 2 times as effective as dental floss at reducing gingival bleeding
- 29% more effective as dental floss at removing plaque
The staff at Ferry Dental, Southampton, love using their Water flosser / Air Flosser! Dr Papantonis, Dentist at Ferry Dental, always admits to his patients that he does not floss and this is the reason why!
Pros of using a Water Flosser / Air Flosser:
- Gentle on the gums (less likely to cause bleeding)
- Ideal for people who wear braces
- Ideal for people who do not have enough time to floss properly. It only takes a minute !
- Can be used with teeth that are crowned ( lack of access makes it difficult to floss around crowns or bridges)
- Ideal for dental implants
- Ideal for those who have crooked misaligned teeth
- Can be used with Mouthwash (instead of water) – even more beneficial
- Quicker than using floss and very easy to use
Categorised in: Ferry Dental Blog